ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

Automated new user introduction.

by Red - 10-28-2016 - 10:13 PM
(10-29-2016 - 12:28 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:22 AM)Alex Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:12 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:09 AM)Alex Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 11:32 PM)Red Wrote: Maybe I was too strong when I said to "force" users to read the rules. It would be better to just place a link as an option. It would be better if new users were forced to make an Intro Thread, as this would give the user warm welcomes from members here on Demon Forums, with replies which will contain Forum Rules links. This will also show the new user that we are friendly.

I've seen these restrictions on other Forums and they have done particularly well -- I won't go into mentioning names, advertisement for other Forums isn't my style. Done in the right way, it would most likely boost activity, I don't see an issue against it at all. In the end, not ALL members would be making LQ posts, it is something that the Admins can think about and put a plan into place that could work out for everyone. This is just the foundation of an idea in which it can be tweaked to suit everyone.

Obligating users to create an introduction thread wouldn't really be a perk due to the fact that most users make them anyways. Those who don't are usually those who leech, which would from what I'd assume be a bundle of low-quality to spamming posts passed off as an introduction thread.

Do me a favor and send me a message of the forum websites, because I'm clearly missing some kind of part where this would somehow increase activity in a good way. Like I said, we're going to end up with quantity over quality. Hands down, I'm aware not all members do this shit, but most do.

PM sent. As for the spam, I have just said to Rizla, we need a system which can detect spam, which would disable a user from submitting a post because that user is making posts too often. For example a message could be displayed saying "You are posting too often, try again in 5 minutes." which I think could help cut down on the spam.

There's not really much to it with the link you sent me. I personally have an account on the website, but like I said, I just posted low-quality posts and went on my way. And from what I'm seeing, many people do the exact same thing. Quantity over quality, that's how it is with the forum you showed me.

I don't think it'd help out. A message like that would only delay the user from posting. Once the deadline has reached, the user can post again. We're only delaying the inevitable if we're going to be taking that routine. As far as I'm concerned, I think we've went too far with these types of suggestions. We're leaping to restricting users from posting, minimizing the credit amount per post, to forced introduction threads. I think I've made it clear that It's just too much to take in at this angle.

And in the end you are still stating the obvious. A spammer will always spam, regardless of what site upgrades are made, unless one is made to help postpone spamming too quickly. I think it's a fine idea which can easily be worked on. Like I said before, these are just ideas, not to be instantly accepted and implemented. You have to mold the rock and polish it to become a diamond.

You're not hearing me right. Postponing spamming isn't exactly a benefit on our end.

I don't think a detection system is possible, so if the spammers have to wait, so do we. Therefore, if this comes to pass, it'd be extremely irritating for legitimate users to wait before posting. Delaying spam will only delay the inevitable as well. There's a reason why spammers are spammers. It's usually them wanting something from the forum (a download, combo, etc), and they won't stop until they've gotten what they want. Decreasing the amount of credits given per post would only fill more spam/LQ on the forum due to the fact that the leechers and spammers won't care adding in an extra 4 posts to obtain enough credits to bypass Hide.

I'm explaining how restricting users or shortening the credit amount for posts will not have any positive effect whatsoever. Cons are outweighing the pros judging how, like I've stated in my previous posts,
  • There's going to be more posts (low-quality to spam) if we decrease the amount of credits.
  • Restricting users from posting is only delaying the inevitable, not really solving the problem.
  • Forced introduction threads may also fill up with spam/LQ posts passed up an introduction thread.
  • Waiting to posts is such bullshit, it's not going to do any good for us.

This will not prevent users from leeching or spamming. It's only going to be a waste of our developer's time. The only effect (if there is any effect at all) would be quantity over quality. That's not what we want. We're interested in quality posts that will do us good. Not 'thank you for this thread' or 'gracias' or whatever. I got the message that you're trying to put down. I know it's just an idea, but if this is a glimpse of what you're trying to show us with these suggestions implemented, I wouldn't support. It's not worth taking in the end-result.
(10-29-2016 - 09:07 AM)Alex Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:28 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:22 AM)Alex Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:12 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:09 AM)Alex Wrote: Obligating users to create an introduction thread wouldn't really be a perk due to the fact that most users make them anyways. Those who don't are usually those who leech, which would from what I'd assume be a bundle of low-quality to spamming posts passed off as an introduction thread.

Do me a favor and send me a message of the forum websites, because I'm clearly missing some kind of part where this would somehow increase activity in a good way. Like I said, we're going to end up with quantity over quality. Hands down, I'm aware not all members do this shit, but most do.

PM sent. As for the spam, I have just said to Rizla, we need a system which can detect spam, which would disable a user from submitting a post because that user is making posts too often. For example a message could be displayed saying "You are posting too often, try again in 5 minutes." which I think could help cut down on the spam.

There's not really much to it with the link you sent me. I personally have an account on the website, but like I said, I just posted low-quality posts and went on my way. And from what I'm seeing, many people do the exact same thing. Quantity over quality, that's how it is with the forum you showed me.

I don't think it'd help out. A message like that would only delay the user from posting. Once the deadline has reached, the user can post again. We're only delaying the inevitable if we're going to be taking that routine. As far as I'm concerned, I think we've went too far with these types of suggestions. We're leaping to restricting users from posting, minimizing the credit amount per post, to forced introduction threads. I think I've made it clear that It's just too much to take in at this angle.

And in the end you are still stating the obvious. A spammer will always spam, regardless of what site upgrades are made, unless one is made to help postpone spamming too quickly. I think it's a fine idea which can easily be worked on. Like I said before, these are just ideas, not to be instantly accepted and implemented. You have to mold the rock and polish it to become a diamond.

You're not hearing me right. Postponing spamming isn't exactly a benefit on our end.

I don't think a detection system is possible, so if the spammers have to wait, so do we. Therefore, if this comes to pass, it'd be extremely irritating for legitimate users to wait before posting. Delaying spam will only delay the inevitable as well. There's a reason why spammers are spammers. It's usually them wanting something from the forum (a download, combo, etc), and they won't stop until they've gotten what they want. Decreasing the amount of credits given per post would only fill more spam/LQ on the forum due to the fact that the leechers and spammers won't care adding in an extra 4 posts to obtain enough credits to bypass Hide.

I'm explaining how restricting users or shortening the credit amount for posts will not have any positive effect whatsoever. Cons are outweighing the pros judging how, like I've stated in my previous posts,
  • There's going to be more posts (low-quality to spam) if we decrease the amount of credits.
  • Restricting users from posting is only delaying the inevitable, not really solving the problem.
  • Forced introduction threads may also fill up with spam/LQ posts passed up an introduction thread.
  • Waiting to posts is such bullshit, it's not going to do any good for us.

This will not prevent users from leeching or spamming. It's only going to be a waste of our developer's time. The only effect (if there is any effect at all) would be quantity over quality. That's not what we want. We're interested in quality posts that will do us good. Not 'thank you for this thread' or 'gracias' or whatever. I got the message that you're trying to put down. I know it's just an idea, but if this is a glimpse of what you're trying to show us with these suggestions implemented, I wouldn't support. It's not worth taking in the end-result.

Now come on, you know that's not true at all. You could easily set the limitation of 5 minutes between posts only for new members that have a recent join date. Members that have been registered on the site for say, more than 1 week, will have that limitation of 5 minutes per post removed. It's really that simple.

And you're not getting the point at all. You keep saying there will be LQ posts and Spam.. seriously.. we have that ALREADY, what's the difference?

Most Forums have the feature of waiting between posts, Including Reddit. You are an Avid member of Many Forums, so I am sure you have seen this yourself in many places, it does not have much of a negative effect, if at all.

You keep worrying about users leeching and spamming, it's ALREADY happening, it's almost like you're against trying to stop it a little bit.

A forced Introduction? Okay maybe you have a point there. So how about we add something where a new member will receive a Notice at the Top of the Forum underneath the Logo reminding them to make an Introduction Thread? That would seem much better, and would disappear after say, 1 week of registration.

You can mention the Cons as much as you like, it doesn't alter the fact that they are already happening right now without the Pros which I've mentioned. If you don't support it, that's entirely fine with me, you have your own opinion and judgement. These again, are only ideas, which at the moment, could be a minor improvement based on the fact that spamming and leeching are already happening as we currently speak.

(10-29-2016 - 02:12 AM)Devil Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 10:13 PM)Red Wrote: This is what I was thinking:

When a new user signs up, have their accounts restricted so they can ONLY make an introduction Thread in the Introduce Yourself section. After this Thread is created, the restriction would ease up and then every new user would only be restricted to making 10 posts per 24 hours, until they reach 50 posts or more. This requires the new users to come back each day to unlock content they want, and encourages better activity, much more organized. Once the 50 posts are made, all restrictions would be lifted.

I would probably consider altering the amount of credits earned per post too, for example, 1 credit per post instead of 2, this allows for more posts to be made (whilst maintaining the rules of the Forum). A new Thread would be 2 credits, and posting a useful resource could be 5 credits.

Also encourage new users to use the "Like Post" and "Rate" features a lot more.

I actually have to agree with this!

Forcing the new user to post a Intro post would be awesome, as well to see if they make it LQ or HQ to kind of forsee their future posts would be.

Exactly. That's what all Intro Threads are about, to give other Users a basic understanding of that User and what they may provide to the community. Plus they would look more silly for making a LQ one, which may put off a few spammers.

Oh and since the Admins mentioned that they might work on adding a System which will automatically Ban accounts that are created for the sole purpose of avoiding other Bans (having the same IP of a Banned User) will make it even more difficult for spammers to come back. I really don't see an issue with these updates.
Are you a guest to this site? Click the image below and sign up today!
[Image: FTYbRmR.gif]
hellio im a new user :)

its very good to be here ^^

very usefull :) ^^^yeahu
Nice to share,!!!!

Users browsing: 2 Guest(s)