ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

Automated new user introduction.

by Red - 10-28-2016 - 10:13 PM
(10-29-2016 - 12:03 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 11:57 PM)Rizla Wrote: Well the idea was thrown about to actually try and restrict new users from using the content unlock or even gaining credits until they are about 25 to maybe even 50 posts in.

There's not really a lot we can implement to restrict user spamming as people if they really want it they can find ways around it. Forcing them to post an introduction thread would just lead to a spam of introduction threads which would be super low quality if they joined for just content.

There's always going to be a con to go with the pro. The thing is, what does this site need? It needs more activity and more members, and less spam and rule breaks. Of course, if something requires more posts, there's going to be some people who will force them to be super low quality, for example "thanksssssssssssss =DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" multiple times. These spammers would be taken care of. Even as it currently is, there are still spammers, so that will never change regardless of an automated system being implemented or not. It's only stating the obvious. We could just really use something new and refreshing.

So why implement something to try and stop something if that something can't physically be stopped. Isn't it a bit pointless?
(10-29-2016 - 12:06 AM)Rizla Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:03 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 11:57 PM)Rizla Wrote: Well the idea was thrown about to actually try and restrict new users from using the content unlock or even gaining credits until they are about 25 to maybe even 50 posts in.

There's not really a lot we can implement to restrict user spamming as people if they really want it they can find ways around it. Forcing them to post an introduction thread would just lead to a spam of introduction threads which would be super low quality if they joined for just content.

There's always going to be a con to go with the pro. The thing is, what does this site need? It needs more activity and more members, and less spam and rule breaks. Of course, if something requires more posts, there's going to be some people who will force them to be super low quality, for example "thanksssssssssssss =DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" multiple times. These spammers would be taken care of. Even as it currently is, there are still spammers, so that will never change regardless of an automated system being implemented or not. It's only stating the obvious. We could just really use something new and refreshing.

So why implement something to try and stop something if that something can't physically be stopped. Isn't it a bit pointless?

When you are a new member on Forums, and you try to spam, you trigger an automated response, and it usually says "You cannot post as you are posting too often too soon. Try again in 5 minutes." This would certainly help for regular non-upgraded members.
Are you a guest to this site? Click the image below and sign up today!
[Image: FTYbRmR.gif]
(10-28-2016 - 11:32 PM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 11:22 PM)Alex Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 10:54 PM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 10:51 PM)Alex Wrote: I honestly don't see how restricting new users from posting would organize anything or make activity better. You're gonna have to explain to me the equation of how it'd take place. As for the credit suggestion, it was put in place as some kind of defense mechanism against leechers. I get that, but the only thing this would accomplish would be leechers posting more often with 'thank you bro' or something along those lines that could make up as a low quality post.

If people spam, then it's our job to take care of them, as we have done and do already. As for restricting members, it makes more sense.

Don't restrict members = They can make accounts anytime and start randomly spamming, ignoring the rules of the forum and getting themselves an unwanted ban.

Restrict members = Force the user to actually read the rules and THINK about what their potential actions could cause, potentially avoiding future spam, not to mention It's nice to read introduction Threads, and should really be made by everyone.

Firstly, I've done this on many forums. If the forum happens to have a post limit for new users, I make up to 6-10 posts and go from there - most of which is low quality, but not spam, which is why my posts would not be breaking any rules. After that, I'd come back and do some more spam until I eventually got what I wanted (mostly leeching logins and other nifty resources) from the forum. Come on now, how would restricting new users from posting give them the motive to read the rules? It just doesn't click together. It's not gonna solve the problem, it's just delaying the inevitable from users leeching what they want.

Secondly, we have low quality users, and I guarantee none of them would have any problem whatsoever for them to leech even if we were to abide by these suggestions of yours. I'm aware of the fact that there needs to be an outlet for activity, but there's no way any suggestions like restricting posts to new users would do any good for us in terms of activity. At best, we'd be getting shit (spam to LQ posts) on our frontyard and having to clean it up. It's been like this since day one, and these suggestions would only increase this problem. The only way we can increase activity while still reaching legitimate to high-quality posts would be getting users to do it in the first place. That's the only way, an improvement to a forum will do nothing to change that.

As for credits, like I've done on other forums (including this one), I'd be posting LQ posts that wouldn't even contribute to the topic at hand whatsoever, let alone even being relevant to it. Although I'm on the edge to breaking the rules, it's not like I'll be warned for it due to the fact that I'm not necessarily spamming. This is how it sits with this forum. As long as it's not necessarily spam, it's fine in our books. The example I said, post like 'thank you for this' or something along those lines, would only appear more and more if we were to decrease credit count for posts. And posts like these are fine but extremely low quality. But, like I said, that's the only thing we're going to be seeing if we decrease the credit count.

Remember, we're interested in activity to stick but we want to avoid low quality posts as well. Besides, at the end of the day, who wants to be the forum that restricts posting for new users? It just makes us look like we're trying too hard.

Maybe I was too strong when I said to "force" users to read the rules. It would be better to just place a link as an option. It would be better if new users were forced to make an Intro Thread, as this would give the user warm welcomes from members here on Demon Forums, with replies which will contain Forum Rules links. This will also show the new user that we are friendly.

I've seen these restrictions on other Forums and they have done particularly well -- I won't go into mentioning names, advertisement for other Forums isn't my style. Done in the right way, it would most likely boost activity, I don't see an issue against it at all. In the end, not ALL members would be making LQ posts, it is something that the Admins can think about and put a plan into place that could work out for everyone. This is just the foundation of an idea in which it can be tweaked to suit everyone.

Obligating users to create an introduction thread wouldn't really be a perk due to the fact that most users make them anyways. Those who don't are usually those who leech, which would from what I'd assume be a bundle of low-quality to spamming posts passed off as an introduction thread.

Do me a favor and send me a message of the forum websites, because I'm clearly missing some kind of part where this would somehow increase activity in a good way. Like I said, we're going to end up with quantity over quality. Hands down, I'm aware not all members do this shit, but most do.
(10-29-2016 - 12:09 AM)Alex Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 10:54 PM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 10:51 PM)Alex Wrote: I honestly don't see how restricting new users from posting would organize anything or make activity better. You're gonna have to explain to me the equation of how it'd take place. As for the credit suggestion, it was put in place as some kind of defense mechanism against leechers. I get that, but the only thing this would accomplish would be leechers posting more often with 'thank you bro' or something along those lines that could make up as a low quality post.

If people spam, then it's our job to take care of them, as we have done and do already. As for restricting members, it makes more sense.

Don't restrict members = They can make accounts anytime and start randomly spamming, ignoring the rules of the forum and getting themselves an unwanted ban.

Restrict members = Force the user to actually read the rules and THINK about what their potential actions could cause, potentially avoiding future spam, not to mention It's nice to read introduction Threads, and should really be made by everyone.

Firstly, I've done this on many forums. If the forum happens to have a post limit for new users, I make up to 6-10 posts and go from there - most of which is low quality, but not spam, which is why my posts would not be breaking any rules. After that, I'd come back and do some more spam until I eventually got what I wanted (mostly leeching logins and other nifty resources) from the forum. Come on now, how would restricting new users from posting give them the motive to read the rules? It just doesn't click together. It's not gonna solve the problem, it's just delaying the inevitable from users leeching what they want.

Secondly, we have low quality users, and I guarantee none of them would have any problem whatsoever for them to leech even if we were to abide by these suggestions of yours. I'm aware of the fact that there needs to be an outlet for activity, but there's no way any suggestions like restricting posts to new users would do any good for us in terms of activity. At best, we'd be getting shit (spam to LQ posts) on our frontyard and having to clean it up. It's been like this since day one, and these suggestions would only increase this problem. The only way we can increase activity while still reaching legitimate to high-quality posts would be getting users to do it in the first place. That's the only way, an improvement to a forum will do nothing to change that.

As for credits, like I've done on other forums (including this one), I'd be posting LQ posts that wouldn't even contribute to the topic at hand whatsoever, let alone even being relevant to it. Although I'm on the edge to breaking the rules, it's not like I'll be warned for it due to the fact that I'm not necessarily spamming. This is how it sits with this forum. As long as it's not necessarily spam, it's fine in our books. The example I said, post like 'thank you for this' or something along those lines, would only appear more and more if we were to decrease credit count for posts. And posts like these are fine but extremely low quality. But, like I said, that's the only thing we're going to be seeing if we decrease the credit count.

Remember, we're interested in activity to stick but we want to avoid low quality posts as well. Besides, at the end of the day, who wants to be the forum that restricts posting for new users? It just makes us look like we're trying too hard.

Maybe I was too strong when I said to "force" users to read the rules. It would be better to just place a link as an option. It would be better if new users were forced to make an Intro Thread, as this would give the user warm welcomes from members here on Demon Forums, with replies which will contain Forum Rules links. This will also show the new user that we are friendly.

I've seen these restrictions on other Forums and they have done particularly well -- I won't go into mentioning names, advertisement for other Forums isn't my style. Done in the right way, it would most likely boost activity, I don't see an issue against it at all. In the end, not ALL members would be making LQ posts, it is something that the Admins can think about and put a plan into place that could work out for everyone. This is just the foundation of an idea in which it can be tweaked to suit everyone.

Obligating users to create an introduction thread wouldn't really be a perk due to the fact that most users make them anyways. Those who don't are usually those who leech, which would from what I'd assume be a bundle of low-quality to spamming posts passed off as an introduction thread.

Do me a favor and send me a message of the forum websites, because I'm clearly missing some kind of part where this would somehow increase activity in a good way. Like I said, we're going to end up with quantity over quality. Hands down, I'm aware not all members do this shit, but most do.

PM sent. As for the spam, I have just said to Rizla, we need a system which can detect spam, which would disable a user from submitting a post because that user is making posts too often. For example a message could be displayed saying "You are posting too often, try again in 5 minutes." which I think could help cut down on the spam.
(10-29-2016 - 12:12 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 10:54 PM)Red Wrote: If people spam, then it's our job to take care of them, as we have done and do already. As for restricting members, it makes more sense.

PM sent. As for the spam, I have just said to Rizla, we need a system which can detect spam, which would disable a user from submitting a post because that user is making posts too often. For example a message could be displayed saying "You are posting too often, try again in 5 minutes." which I think could help cut down on the spam.

There's not really much to it with the link you sent me. I personally have an account on the website, but like I said, I just posted low-quality posts and went on my way. And from what I'm seeing, many people do the exact same thing. Quantity over quality, that's how it is with the forum you showed me.

I don't think it'd help out. A message like that would only delay the user from posting. Once the deadline has reached, the user can post again. We're only delaying the inevitable if we're going to be taking that routine. As far as I'm concerned, I think we've went too far with these types of suggestions. We're leaping to restricting users from posting, minimizing the credit amount per post, to forced introduction threads. I think I've made it clear that It's just too much to take in at this angle.
I really like this idea :)
[Image: cFUePg.png]
(10-29-2016 - 12:22 AM)Alex Wrote:
(10-29-2016 - 12:12 AM)Red Wrote:
(10-28-2016 - 11:22 PM)Alex Wrote: Firstly, I've done this on many forums. If the forum happens to have a post limit for new users, I make up to 6-10 posts and go from there - most of which is low quality, but not spam, which is why my posts would not be breaking any rules. After that, I'd come back and do some more spam until I eventually got what I wanted (mostly leeching logins and other nifty resources) from the forum. Come on now, how would restricting new users from posting give them the motive to read the rules? It just doesn't click together. It's not gonna solve the problem, it's just delaying the inevitable from users leeching what they want.

There's not really much to it with the link you sent me. I personally have an account on the website, but like I said, I just posted low-quality posts and went on my way. And from what I'm seeing, many people do the exact same thing. Quantity over quality, that's how it is with the forum you showed me.

I don't think it'd help out. A message like that would only delay the user from posting. Once the deadline has reached, the user can post again. We're only delaying the inevitable if we're going to be taking that routine. As far as I'm concerned, I think we've went too far with these types of suggestions. We're leaping to restricting users from posting, minimizing the credit amount per post, to forced introduction threads. I think I've made it clear that It's just too much to take in at this angle.

And in the end you are still stating the obvious. A spammer will always spam, regardless of what site upgrades are made, unless one is made to help postpone spamming too quickly. I think it's a fine idea which can easily be worked on. Like I said before, these are just ideas, not to be instantly accepted and implemented. You have to mold the rock and polish it to become a diamond.
For now we will always be looking for ideas to prevent spammers and leechers, don't worry.
keep the spammers off this shit :) i say yes to this.
[Image: b964a826bf7328ceab559cc1734971f7.gif]
(10-28-2016 - 10:13 PM)Red Wrote: This is what I was thinking:

When a new user signs up, have their accounts restricted so they can ONLY make an introduction Thread in the Introduce Yourself section. After this Thread is created, the restriction would ease up and then every new user would only be restricted to making 10 posts per 24 hours, until they reach 50 posts or more. This requires the new users to come back each day to unlock content they want, and encourages better activity, much more organized. Once the 50 posts are made, all restrictions would be lifted.

I would probably consider altering the amount of credits earned per post too, for example, 1 credit per post instead of 2, this allows for more posts to be made (whilst maintaining the rules of the Forum). A new Thread would be 2 credits, and posting a useful resource could be 5 credits.

Also encourage new users to use the "Like Post" and "Rate" features a lot more.

I actually have to agree with this!

Forcing the new user to post a Intro post would be awesome, as well to see if they make it LQ or HQ to kind of forsee their future posts would be.

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)