ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

[TUTORIAL] New to MyBB?

by Matt - 07-05-2016 - 06:31 PM
Hello, welcome to the tutorial on MyBB, in this tutorial I will do my best to cover everything from installation to simple configuration. This includes how to edit very simplistic template codes. My name is Matt and I have done this multiple times, unlike others this tutorial is based on using a webhost, and is in no way using XAMPP, which is an apache server hosted on your own computer. This will lead to a more user friendly guide.

The things I use in this tutorial is
  • cPanel
  • File Transfer Protocol Program (FileZilla, FTPCommander or whatev. I use FileZilla)
  • MyBB Source (Found on their website)
  • Nutrition to feed your brain
You must understand, that this is a tutorial that is VERY simplistic, and setting up a forum with MyBB is simplistic in itself.
To start off with, you must go to MyBB's website and download the 'website' files.

Head over to https://www.mybb.com/ and click the blue download now. And then click again, the blue button saying Download MyBB x.x.x
[spoiler=Download][Image: tYNg8Oj.png]
[Image: IlhnSCe.png]
[/spoiler]

The file you downloaded should look something like this in google chrome
[Image: uNnMsAL.png]

You have succesfully completed the first step of installing MyBB on your website.
Next what we are going to is download a FTP program, I'm going to install Filezilla and be with you all the way, don't worry.
Let's head over to their website at https://filezilla-project.org/
We are going to download their client, so click the grey button to the left saying "Download FileZilla Client all platforms".
And like the MyBB does, it redirects you to a place where you once again click the same download button. This time the FileZilla button is Green and says the same. "Download FileZilla Client", remember if you don't feel like I'm explaining it enough, the images below should do the rest of the explaining.
[spoiler=Download FileZilla Client][Image: ACQKDOD.png]
[Image: b8s4zXy.png][/spoiler]

In google chrome your two downloads should now resemble/be similar to this
[Image: T4IKVlQ.png]
Simply just insall FileZilla by clicking it in google chrome, and follow the installation.
In the below spoiler is a list of how I went through with the installation. No need to rush.

[spoiler=FileZilla Installation]
[Image: EQvtb1m.png]
[Image: V9BLd6c.png]
[Image: PaOMNEJ.png]
[Image: rGnxjB3.png]
[Image: us1E2aS.png]
[Image: ZjYINZd.png]
[/spoiler]

As you can see, I chose not to reboot, I personally don't think there is an idea to it, however professionally I know the truth, and should you encounter ANY problems of sorts with FileZilla or anything else that complicates it, reboot your computer/laptop and restart from your failed step.

Now you should open FileZilla, and log on to your FTP account.
Now what you see is a list of folders after logging in, you now want to head over to /public_html folder.
IF you do not see any folders, you should know that it might be because your host already made it so you are located in the public_html folder.
The chance of the folder being empty is actually quite close to zero, anyhow delete any content that is on the server, if you have a public_html folder in your view, don't delete anything before entering that folder. Quite crucial.

This is what my directories looks like when I'm logged on to the FTP.
[Image: eXnyZrt.png]
Now head to the public_html folder. And MAKE SURE that there are no files in that folder.
This is how it should look like.
[Image: DdafF7l.png]
Now, simply extract your mybb_xxxx.zip folder somewhere on your PC, and enter that directory.
Sorry for not going through this step, however it is the most crucial it should be simple to follow.
1. Extract the 2 directories inside the mybb downloaded .zip archive to desktop.
2. Open the newly extracted folder /upload on your desktop
3. Mark all files and directories in the folder, or do CTRL+A, which marks all files and directories in the folder.
4. Drag and drop them to the Empty directory listing on the FTP interface
Congratulations, now you have transferred the files to your website.
Make sure FileZilla does NOT come up with a "Transfer Failed", this means dragging from the zip file to the FTP interface can cause troubles with accessing and extracting, so please follow the above steps to stay away from plausible error.

Now head to your website www.example.com
If your file transfer IS NOT COMPLETE yet when you visit the site it will look like this
[Image: aNHKeX1.png]
Please wait for FileZilla's popup that looks like ths
[Image: DwjVJZD.png]

Now refresh and you should have landed at an installation page.
This is what you should see.
[spoiler=MyBB][Image: F4EI874.png][/spoiler]
I ticked off the Send anonymous statistics, because I don't really mind it, but you should consider whether not or to do it, because it helps MyBB. You can always read about what information is sent, it's pretty much not what you'd think, and it's not secrecy.

Now just the Next.
Now you come to a license of agreement, I mean if you really want to, you can read it, but it's the same if you've read it once. So click Next.
(I don't think this requires an image)

The next page is a requirement check, IN CASE that it says something is not WRITABLE, then I recommend you can search htaccess on google and find out more, or you can go to filezilla, go to the public_html folder, and see all directories and files, click CTRL+A and right click any of the marked files, now last you will see "file permissions". Click that. A pop up should come up, now what you should do is look for a textbox, should be the only one there, it should say "numeric value", it probably says xxx, change that to 777. Before clicking ok, you should also tick on the "Recurse into subdirectories", and have it choose "Apply to all files and directories". Click Ok. Now on MyBB ask to recheck by clicking the button, and everything should be okay.

Now just click next and what you see should be this

THIS IS NOT FINISHED; but due to an error I accidentally posted this, will be continuing.
Great Post! :D Be looking forward to the rest of it ;D
Quote:Jerk it or lurk it pal. - Albert Einstein

good tutorial on using mybb

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)