ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

[SUG] Reputation update

by Weeaboo - 01-19-2016 - 03:43 AM
Going to give you a quick rundown on what I agree with on your glorious suggestion. 

Allowing a user to modify / remove their reputation given to a user.

When allowing a user to modify / remove their reputation it gives them the chance to notify other members when another member has cheated or scammed even though the person accusing has already repped the positively.
I definitely suggest that we do this because it makes it easier to point out scammers/cheaters although we should have guidelines in accusing people of being scammers.

Only allow a user to give reputation once to another user

Since the forum is indeed getting bigger we will get a bigger staff team but this won't change the fact that it'll be a heavy burden on us when we start to deal with people that glorify themselves in reputation. Meaning that they will do anything for green. Even to the point of multi-accounting, I personally believe that one rating of rep is enough. Reputation shouldn't be stacked as rep will be way more invaluable and easier to come by that it won't mean anything. Rep should be hard enough to gain that it's a honor to be in the green not just a number nobody cares about.

Change / lower the amount of reputation given per day

As of now, I don't see an issue in giving regular users rep as it's only 1+/-1,
but I honestly do like your opinion about a point in which they should be able too. Maybe we can make another group for unpaid members and they get that group that just allows the to +1/-1 when they reach a point in their activity here. As for the amount of reputation being able to be given now, I think it's in a perfect spot.

Why do we need these insane and strict rules?

There's a reason why there should be strict rules, I am completely seeing why you typed this all out and I can see where you're coming from. I will definitely talk to the staff about it because a lot of the things you're saying can have a huge impact on the future of this Forum.
"It takes one man to change the world, but it takes the whole world to change a man"
[Image: T3Y2DuL.gif]
(01-19-2016 - 02:02 PM)Electronic Wrote: Going to give you a quick rundown on what I agree with on your glorious suggestion. 

When allowing a user to modify / remove their reputation it gives them the chance to notify other members when another member has cheated or scammed even though the person accusing has already repped the positively.
I definitely suggest that we do this because it makes it easier to point out scammers/cheaters although we should have guidelines in accusing people of being scammers.

Since the forum is indeed getting bigger we will get a bigger staff team but this won't change the fact that it'll be a heavy burden on us when we start to deal with people that glorify themselves in reputation. Meaning that they will do anything for green. Even to the point of multi-accounting, I personally believe that one rating of rep is enough. Reputation shouldn't be stacked as rep will be way more invaluable and easier to come by that it won't mean anything. Rep should be hard enough to gain that it's a honor to be in the green not just a number nobody cares about.

but I honestly do like your opinion about a point in which they should be able too. Maybe we can make another group for unpaid members and they get that group that just allows the to +1/-1 when they reach a point in their activity here. As for the amount of reputation being able to be given now, I think it's in a perfect spot.

There's a reason why there should be strict rules, I am completely seeing why you typed this all out and I can see where you're coming from. I will definitely talk to the staff about it because a lot of the things you're saying can have a huge impact on the future of this Forum.

Thank you for taking the time to read through and take the time to do a great response!  :yus: 

"although we should have guidelines in accusing people of being scammers." 
Of course, falsely acussing people of scamming should in no way be allowed or tolerated. 
First do a deal dispute or something of the sort, and once the user has successfully been labeled as a scammer..
Then you can go ahead and punish them with the -rep

"Rep should be hard enough to gain that it's a honor to be in the green not just a number nobody cares about."
Exactly, making it difficult to obtain gives you some pride whenever you get put into the +rep zone. 
It will give people a reason as to why they should strive to be a HQ member, contribute and actually do something to help the community.
But if you on the first day can end up getting +10 rep, then honestly it's a broken system. I've been on forums like that before.. Not very fun. 
I've also been on forums where you could be on there for month before even getting a +1, but once you do, it feels amazing. 

"As for the amount of reputation being able to be given now, I think it's in a perfect spot. "
Indeed, for now, it's fine, since it hasn't been abused yet, and it isn't too broken yet, but that's only because the forum is still a bit small.
But it is growing, and the bigger it gets, the worse the abuse will be. Because it WILL happen, I can guarantee you that. 
Many forums are all "Oh it'll be different here, it won't happen" but shortly after, it does, it always does. 
Which is why I think regular members who just signed up, shouldn't be allowed to hand out rep, only neutral (0) rep. 

As you said, a group would be suitable, but make the demands high for that usergroup. 
Either that, or they'll need to have met some requirements. Which could be a lot of posts.
A ton of activity, having helped a lot of members, done a lot for the community, etc.
[Image: kVutyOy.gif]
(01-19-2016 - 02:16 PM)Weeaboo Wrote:
(01-19-2016 - 02:02 PM)Electronic Wrote: Going to give you a quick rundown on what I agree with on your glorious suggestion. 

Thank you for taking the time to read through and take the time to do a great response!  :yus: 

"although we should have guidelines in accusing people of being scammers." 
Of course, falsely acussing people of scamming should in no way be allowed or tolerated. 
First do a deal dispute or something of the sort, and once the user has successfully been labeled as a scammer..
Then you can go ahead and punish them with the -rep

"Rep should be hard enough to gain that it's a honor to be in the green not just a number nobody cares about."
Exactly, making it difficult to obtain gives you some pride whenever you get put into the +rep zone. 
It will give people a reason as to why they should strive to be a HQ member, contribute and actually do something to help the community.
But if you on the first day can end up getting +10 rep, then honestly it's a broken system. I've been on forums like that before.. Not very fun. 
I've also been on forums where you could be on there for month before even getting a +1, but once you do, it feels amazing. 

"As for the amount of reputation being able to be given now, I think it's in a perfect spot. "
Indeed, for now, it's fine, since it hasn't been abused yet, and it isn't too broken yet, but that's only because the forum is still a bit small.
But it is growing, and the bigger it gets, the worse the abuse will be. Because it WILL happen, I can guarantee you that. 
Many forums are all "Oh it'll be different here, it won't happen" but shortly after, it does, it always does. 
Which is why I think regular members who just signed up, shouldn't be allowed to hand out rep, only neutral (0) rep. 

As you said, a group would be suitable, but make the demands high for that usergroup. 
Either that, or they'll need to have met some requirements. Which could be a lot of posts.
A ton of activity, having helped a lot of members, done a lot for the community, etc.

I'd rather it be 3x harder for rep to be given than to see kids with 3000+ rep in 5-6 Months lol.
That's what I'm saying, there should be a requirement for that unpaid group, we're still going to discuss some things about this. Let's hope we can try and get some of these things into play :)
"It takes one man to change the world, but it takes the whole world to change a man"
[Image: T3Y2DuL.gif]
On my phone so this will be a reduced answer until I can give a full one. Unless Nova replies.

Personally I don't understand why users can rep one user 4/5 times a day. It needs to be restricted to just one reputation per user. We see users getting 2 or 3 reps by the same user and it honestly ruins the reputation system in my opinion.

I think users should be able to plus / negative rep users but only by +1/-1 and I agree with the idea that they should get the privilege after say 500 posts. It'll be something for users to achieve.

I personally feel admins and moderators should not have restricted reputations especially administrators. We tend to only rep users who deserve it a lot or if we are issuing a warning. Moderators on the other hand I feel do the same when it comes to giving a user a reputation. I feel as if staff should actually only rep a user if it is for something they definitely deserve or if it is of course a warning to other users. That's my opinion on the staff situation.

I hope Nova takes some of this into consideration as I am in no position to actually implement any of this however I'm sure it'll be discussed by all the staff.
We will be discussing this today and there will be a change in the reputation system.
(01-19-2016 - 02:31 PM)Rizla Wrote: On my phone so this will be a reduced answer until I can give a full one. Unless Nova replies.

Personally I don't understand why users can rep one user 4/5 times a day. It needs to be restricted to just one reputation per user. We see users getting 2 or 3 reps by the same user and it honestly ruins the reputation system in my opinion.

I think users should be able to plus / negative rep users but only by +1/-1 and I agree with the idea that they should get the privilege after say 500 posts. It'll be something for users to achieve.

I personally feel admins and moderators should not have restricted reputations especially administrators. We tend to only rep users who deserve it a lot or if we are issuing a warning. Moderators on the other hand I feel do the same when it comes to giving a user a reputation. I feel as if staff should actually only rep a user if it is for something they definitely deserve or if it is of course a warning to other users. That's my opinion on the staff situation.

I hope Nova takes some of this into consideration as I am in no position to actually implement any of this however I'm sure it'll be discussed by all the staff.

I do feel moderators should have a limit as to how much they can rep other users.
Admins as well, I feel +10 is more than enough of a reward, especially if everything was to be made more strict like I suggested.
Then a +10 itself will be a huge reward for having done something good for the community.

The biggest point of this thread wasn't really the staff though, I don't really mind how far up or low they can go.
I was more trying to aim this in to the users of the forum, to avoid abuse and a broken reputation system. 

Good to see that some of the staff agrees with this stuff though.
[Image: kVutyOy.gif]

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)