ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

[SUG] Reputation update

by Weeaboo - 01-19-2016 - 03:43 AM
I think an update to the reputation system would be ideal, for a few reasons.. 
  1. The site is growing, and at a very quick pace, it just hit 1 000 members and it just continues to grow. 
  2. The current reputation system is sort of flawed in my opinion, and definitely needs an update. 
  3. The bigger the site is, the higher chance there will be that rep-abuse will be a thing. 
Here's a few updates that I think would be ideal: 
  • Allowing a user to modify / remove their reputation given to a user. 
Why? I mean you gave the user their reputation for a reason.. Obviously a person never changes. 
Wrong, say I were to give a user +5 rep, because I deem him trustworthy, but later he decides to scam me, or someone else.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to remove your rep and turn it into a -5 instead of a +5
Sure you can rep the person again.. But then it'd just even it out and make it a 0. 
Or you can contact an admin, but with a large forum.. That'd be a ton of work for them. 
This bring me to my next suggestion..
  • Only allow a user to give reputation once to another user
Why do you need the ability to rep another user like 4 times? Or how many the limit is currently at?
Once should be more than enough, things like this, is what leads to rep-abuse.. 
The bigger the site will grow, the more people will begin to exploit things like this. 
Things like, multi-accounting and then giving themselves +4 from their new account.
Doing this a few times and you'll easily be able to hit +40

Maybe even if the person happens to be mad at someone, they can spam a few accounts and just ruin their reputation, easily. 
Sure you can just report it, but things like this would be quite annoying not just to you, but also to the staff team. 
If you happen to be someone valuable at maybe the marketplace, then a new potential buyer comes along.
But he sees your profile has a -6 reputation, due to rep-abuse from a multi-accounter, and then he decides to not deal with you. 
Well sucks, you just lost a customer.. 
  • Change / lower the amount of reputation given per day
Regular users, in my opinion they shouldn't be able to give out reputation at all. Why? 
Because the more users there are, the more likely people are to abuse this.. If they should be able to give out reputation.
Then at least limit it down, say +1 / -1 per day, but only AFTER the user has hit a certain goal, for example, 1 000 posts. 
Think about it.. 1 000 members  already, that is 1 000 reputation handed out, plus many are of higher ranks. 
Soon the award "Reputation king" will be just a joke. 

Gold users, +2 / -2 is fine, but they should be limited to giving out +10 / -10 rep per day, so, limit it to five times per day. 

Diamond users, should be lowered to +3 / -3 reputation, and only be able to hand this out 10 times per day. 

Emerald users, should be lowered to either +4 / -4 or +5 / -5 reputation, and only able to hand this out 15 times per day. 

Moderators, should be able to only give out +6 / -6 reputation, limited to 15 times per day. (I don't know their limit now, but +6 / -6 is more than enough) 

Admins, should be able to do +10 / -10 reputation in legit cases, but in case of severe disrespect or abuse, where more is deemed appropriate.. Then sure, why not.. 
Punish them with those -1000 or whatever you like to do.
  • Why do we need these insane and strict rules? 
Well.. Doing this, will make having a higher reputation a lot more valuable, and actually be something that people would strive for.
I've seen a lot of forums who have had their reputation system ruined due to people being able to give out too much reputation. 
They've either decided to just give up on it, or reset it completely and start it over with a very strict system. 
So changing it up now, while the forum is still small and growing, is the perfect time. 

Things like this can really screw up a nice reputation system, having a strict and well-working reputation system, makes the forum a lot more fun.
That moment when someone modifies your reputation, and you get a +1, it can feel really good, but when everyone on the forum already has like +1 000, it's just no fun. 
I think that these rules, can actually help the forum and make it a way better place, both for new users and for those of us who are already on here. 
  • Ugh.. Do we need to reset the reputation system then?..
No, I don't think that is necessary in any way. Leave it as it is, no one has even hit the reputation king, so the system hasn't been abused.. Yet..
But if it stays like this, trust me, it will be abused. 

But hey, that is all from me, hope you'll at least consider my suggestion, if you got any ideas, suggestions or whatever to my proposal, feel free to comment. 
Would love to hear any input on this.
[Image: kVutyOy.gif]
I think members should only be able to neutral to stop any potential rep abuse, I don't agree with the daily caps because it's something that members paid for its doing no harm, I also don't think repping someone more than once is a good idea as you said once is enough. Also there is no point in a admin giving a -1000 just take away all the greens or ban them depending on the offence
[Image: 35QJVBY.gif]
[Image: xvIWibM.png]
TROLLED
I agree with Weeaboo we should fix the Reputation system allowing members to only rep the same user once instead of being able to rep them multiple times. Aswell as their should be a rep limit to how many times you can rep people per day.
(01-19-2016 - 03:58 AM)123 Wrote: I think members should only be able to neutral to stop any potential rep abuse, I don't agree with the daily caps because it's something that gold members paid for its doing no harm, I also don't think repping someone more than once is a good idea as you said once is enough. Also there is no point in a admin giving a -1000 just take away all the greens or ban them depending on the offence

Members with below 1k posts, could do neutral reputation, such as a (0) with a comment. 

Giving out +2 five times per day is more than enough, I mean what are you gonna be doing with it, handing out +2 to everyone who signs up? 

About the admin stuff, it's not something they'd do a lot, as you said, it depends on what the offender did.
As I said in my post though, in severe cases, where it has been deemed appropriate.
(01-19-2016 - 04:03 AM)Weeaboo Wrote:
(01-19-2016 - 03:58 AM)123 Wrote: I think members should only be able to neutral to stop any potential rep abuse, I don't agree with the daily caps because it's something that gold members paid for its doing no harm, I also don't think repping someone more than once is a good idea as you said once is enough. Also there is no point in a admin giving a -1000 just take away all the greens or ban them depending on the offence

Members with below 1k posts, could do neutral reputation, such as a (0) with a comment. 

Giving out +2 five times per day is more than enough, I mean what are you gonna be doing with it, handing out +2 to everyone who signs up? 

About the admin stuff, it's not something they'd do a lot, as you said, it depends on what the offender did.
As I said in my post though, in severe cases, where it has been deemed appropriate.

Say if the forum got a lot more popular in the next couple  weeks/months I think people wold be definitely handing out a lot more reps
TROLLED
(01-19-2016 - 04:08 AM)123 Wrote:

Say if the forum got a lot more popular in the next couple  weeks/months I think people wold be definitely handing out a lot more reps

Exactly, and that is the problem.
The more people that join, the more reputation would be handed out.
The more reputation that will be handed out, the less valuable having reputation gets.
Before that time, I think the rules should be a lot more strict, in regards to handing out reputation.
(01-19-2016 - 04:12 AM)Weeaboo Wrote:
(01-19-2016 - 04:08 AM)123 Wrote:

Exactly, and that is the problem.
The more people that join, the more reputation would be handed out.
The more reputation that will be handed out, the less valuable having reputation gets.
Before that time, I think the rules should be a lot more strict, in regards to handing out reputation.
I'm not worried about it getting less valuable it's just having members spamming rep to whoever they want makes rep less valueable as you say but if members didn't have that option rep would just become less valuable over time which means the people that have been here for the longest will have a lot of rep because they have worked for it
TROLLED
(01-19-2016 - 04:24 AM)Anonymous Wrote: "Only allow a user to give reputation once to another user"

I suggested this multiple times and it was ignored.

Well.. The more times it gets suggested, the more likely it is to be heard, yeah?  :yus:
Very nice thread @Weeaboo I agree with you, definitely Heart
Youtube : SUBSCRIBE 
Twitter : FOLLOW ME !
Twitch : FOLLOW ME !
If you have any questions/problems PM me by  CLICKING HERE  !
(01-19-2016 - 04:33 AM)BigDaddyModz Wrote: Very nice thread @Weeaboo I agree with you, definitely Heart

Glad to hear  that someone agrees with this.  :yus:

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)