ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

(PC) Gaming performance stagnating?

by saltischon - 09-29-2018 - 10:21 PM
Hi all,

Recently I have been thinking about a phenomena, and I was wondering if there's a proper explanation (or if it is even happening at all).
One of my rigs is about 10 years old, at the time high end and could run every game at very high graphics settings. (I think it was around the time crysis 3 came out).
But, when I look at most modern games, I can still run most of them at LEAST at medium settings and still get butter smooth performance.

I distinctly remember that my previous computer before, was already outdated after 5 years and could barely run new games at low settings without dying of a heart attack. It seems that game development has 'slowed down' in that sense, the curve of improvement is flattening. 

Personally I think this might be explained that consoles are holding game developers back. Since most games are developed for 1 system (usually console) and then ported over. It is quite rare for games to be developed on the PC platform first (games that come to mind are ARMA and crysis). Now I think, modern PCs could run graphics far superior to the ones we are seeing nowadays.

What is you guys your opinion on this?

Let me add that I don't know whether this post belongs in gaming or technology subsections, if it is in the wrong place, my apologies to the mods !

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)