ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

My Favorite Video Games

by Sea - 12-02-2016 - 09:11 PM
Since a rant doesn't have to be angry..I'm gonna go on a small (not so small) tear about my favorite video games throughout my 20 years of life.

Also, I didn't want to comment an essay on the Favorite game thread

So I'm gonna take my time with this.

Growing up I was lucky enough to have a plethora of access to multiple gaming consoles, the SNES, the Dreamcast, the SEGA Genesis, N64, Gamecube, PSOne, etc etc etc. So growing up, I was able to play an even more expansive amount of games. 

As I was growing up my first title I was able to get my hands on was the Sonic titles for the SEGA Genesis as well as the Ninja Turtles Games, Earthworm Jim, and of course Mortal Kombat on the SEGA Genesis, but I've also played the classics like Super Mario Brothers, the original Legend of Zelda on the SNES and NES, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro for the PSOne, Mario Party and Smash on the Gamecube, Mario64, Starfox, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye on N64. I've played tens of thousands different titles to completion. 

I guess the problem you face when you've played so many different games is, how do you pick a favorite? I guess to answer that, you really don't...unless there was that one game that has infinite replay value and to you felt perfect in every aspect...For me, however, I've categorized my favorite games based on my favorite genres of games and put them in a top 10 or top 5 style list.

Horror Games
Spoiler Show
Aw yes, horror games. Horror games growing up weren't exactly my forte, but through the years I've played a decent amount and had my fill (that isn't quite satiable) and I'm always hungry for more.
  • Number 10: Dead Space; PS3/XBox 360. As I got older and started playing more modern titles, I got my hands on a PS3 and started playing anything I could rent, and I was lucky enough to grab Dead Space. Dead Space 2 to be exact. And my playthrough of it was pretty thorough, I finished it to completion and got a few decent scares out of it, however I felt that something was missing while I was playing it, and for me personally I felt there was only 10-15 decent scares, after that it became cheap and repetitive jump scares, that are still fun in their own way. The story and character development for Isaac felt amazing and the combat system was very well rounded, as well as the crafting and survival aspects of the game, especially when you pumped up the difficulty to Impossible Mode. It made the game much more intense and an infuriating endeavor to beat.

• Number 9: Manhunt; PS2/XBox. Manhunt and Manhunt 2 were my real experiences with gore and horror and playing them as a kid always gave me a fright as well as a curious delight when I crushed someone's skull or gutted them, kinda like how we get a sick taste of excitement from being scared (the reasons why we enjoy horror films, games, novels, etc.). The concept of controlling Cash through these various snuff films was insane and as a kid, I didn't know what a snuff film was and after replaying the games I realized how fucked up and twisted the games truly were, but for the early 2000s title, Manhunt created an instense atmosphere or horror and generated these crazy combat sequences and the survival aspects of the game added an extra kicker to the title..not to mention the incredible amount of gore.

• Number 8: I Have No Mouth and I must Scream; MS-DOS/PC. The horror classic from Harlan Ellison was originally a short story, that personally became one of my favorite horror stories of all time. Although the game itself was lack-luster as far as game-play experience goes, due to it being an MS-DOS "Pixel hunter" style game, the game itself provided an incredible story with very dark philosophies and even more gruesome art style to boot and suggestive themes that haunt your nightmares. IHNMIMS hits a sweet spot for horror enthusiasts that most titles never reach.

• Number 7: Alan Wake; XBox 360. The original Alan Wake is an instant classic that was followed by incredible art styles, unique enemies, and terrifying tale to follow. Alan Wake, was the game that created/popularized the cliche of a writer going on vacation to write and relax, to be attacked by insane monsters, so those who say the title was a cliche, for its time it wasn't and is an instant classic in my eyes. The survival aspects of the game were fantastic, as well as the graphics that over the six years (nearly seven) of progress on titles, still holds up and look phenomenal. The combat was a little janky at times, but it still felt good and GOD DAMN THAT FLASHLIGHT TECH.

• Number 6: Outlast; PC/PS4/XBox One. Outlast has to be one of the most stunning and beautiful horror games I've ever played and it was only complimented by the vast amount of story and different scares. The game takes you on the wildest psychological trip in video games and really shakes you up from start to finish. The Camera point of view was so unique and added an extra layer of "FUCK THIS," on top of the different NPCs throughout that really made this game something else.

• Number 5: Condemned (Series); XBox 360. The Condemned series is one of the most bone-chilling experiences I've ever had in a survival horror game and it was only complimented by the fun and intuitive puzzles and the combat sequences, that only led to more gore and puzzles that I thoroughly enjoyed. Add an extra to the fear -- up the difficulty. Condemned Criminal Origins and Condemned 2: Bloodshot were two of my favorite survival horrors games that were a thriller from start to finish. I'll never forget the bear sequence in Condemned 2. It was a thrilling and terrifying aspect of the game, that I loved to death...even though it was rather infuriating.

• Number 4: Amnesia (Series / Mods); PC. Amnesia as a whole is an incredible title with fantastic story development, unique scares, and a crazy cool and intuitive mechanic of sanity and if the games weren't fun enough alone, the DLCs and custom stories and mods make the game even more terrifying and fun to play. Amnesia is one my all-time favorites.

• Number 3: Resident Evil (Series); PSOne/360/PS3/PS4/XBox1/PC. No horror game list is complete without Resident Evil on it. RE is one of the greatest horror titles of all time in my experiences. From the character development, to story development, all the way to the unique and different enemy types that offer insane amount of fear and fun as you tear through the T-Virus infected monsters. As well as dealing with the various heads of the Umbrella Corporation's and their lapdogs who stand in your way. Resident Evil is also home to probably my favorite boss character of all time: Albert fucking Wesker. The badass of Resident Evil. Wesker's design and development as a villain was so amazing to watch unfold and the lore and speculation of the various characters only grows more and more vast with RE7's release.

• Number 2: Bioshock (Series); PC/PS3/360. Bioshock for me is one of the top horror games of all time. It offered me countless hours of commitment and playtime, and even more replay value for the various difficulties and achievements and trophies to collect. Personally, I enjoyed Bioshock: Infinite the most; I'm a massive fan of a multiverse story and that game was my wet dream. The fan theories and speculations as well as the DLC for Infinite only added to my love for the title making Bioshock one of the most incredible titles I've ever played in the horror genre and possibly in general.

• Number 1: Silent Hill (Series); PSOne/2/3/XBox/360/One/PC. Silent Hill. The most intense and probably the best horror game I have ever played. Ever. The story, the characters, the massive amount of enemy types, the themes, everything about this series has always screamed at me saying how beautiful and how incredible the titles are. Although the series isn't perfect and has its flaws *cough* Downpour *cough* it still holds up as the immense and unique game that always drew me back in to replay it countless times and enjoy it every time. From ridiculous melee weapons in Silent Hill 3, to the most intense and terrifying experience of the Silent Hills P.T. teaser (that was cancelled....fucking Konami). Silent Hill has always offered the most immersive and terrifying experiences that were only rivaled by the inventive methods to scare the shit out of you all while pushing their respective hardware to their limits.
These are my all-time favorite horror games, these aren't just media reviews, nor do I really care for many reviews until I play the game myself. Hope you've seen some games on here you remember and if you have something you've played in the past, feel free share it with me!

Adventure Games
Spoiler Show
Adventure games, whether I'm swinging from vines, fighting monsters, or just taking a stroll and having a conversation. Adventure games are every video game! But there are some that don't classify, an adventure game is defined as a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving.

Please also note, I'm not going to share too much about the plots of these games because I want you all to experience them as blind as possible, for the best possible experience! Adventure games have some of the most in-depth and beautiful plots ever!
  • Number 5: Firewatch; PC/PS4/XBox One. Firewatch unlike the other sections is a very modern game, released on Steam back in February of 2016 by the creators of Telltale's "The Walking Dead," Panic. In Firewatch you take control of Henry. A normal working joe, working a normal job for Firewatch in Wyoming. Where his relationship with his boss Delilah develops, even though they've never actually met, being separated by a literal mountain. Firewatch is a gorgeous game that could even be considered a thriller, but I consider it more so an experience or simulation adventure game. Firewatch's character development and dialogue make this title an incredible piece that I hope will stand as one of the best adventure games of all time. I wish I could tell you more, but that would spoil the fun!

• Number 4: Gone Home; PC/PS4/One. This is a brilliant and beautiful piece. I loved this game from start to finish, even though I was under the impression of it being a horror title at first, it only made the game that much more involved and heart touching when I realized what it was about. Taking place in (if my memories serve me correctly) the late 90s, players take control of Kaitlin and explore her home as she returns to it, deserted and unaware as to why. Although there are no set objectives, the game kinda pushes you and gives you a bit of incentives to explore the house further. Fullbright Studios, founded as "The Fullbright Company," originally staffed the 2K Marin's staff and worked on the BioShock 2's DLC Minerva's Den. Which is one of my favorite DLCs for the BioShock franchise. I digress, Gone Home is an exceptionally beautiful story backed by its fantastic assets, and great characters. Giving you very little as to what happened in the house, or what has happened in the years Kaitlin has been away, Gone Home does a fantastic job keeping you guessing until the end and brought me down to tears. 

• Number 3: The Elder Scrolls (Series); A lot of consoles. Probably one of the all-time best franchises to ever hit the market ever. Originally released in 1994, with The Elder Scrolls: Arena the up-and-coming studio Bethesda really only worked on sports titles at the time, and did a fantastic job at, but one day the boys over at Sir-Tech studios (developers for the Wizardry series) harked and jeered at the Bethesda studio when they said they could make a fantasy RPG, better than Sir-Tech's. Fast forward 20 years, and The Elder Scrolls has been named one of the best fantasy RPG games of all time. So eat that Sir-Tech, I don't see your studio making games anymore, do I? Even though the franchise was originally designed as an arena styled gladiator-fighter, it soon turned into a mass produced fantasy RPG that put players on the fantasy planet Nirn, where they were taken to the various continents over the years, leading us to where we are today with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Although the title released a little over 5 years ago, it is still widely regarded as the best adventure-fantasy RPG of the modern age, and has been remastered for higher end PCs and consoles. I've personally put in more hours into TES4: Oblivion, but Skyrim is a close second that was only made better by the various mods and DLCs released over the years.

• Number 2: Fallout (Series); PC/PS Consoles/Xbox Consoles. Yeah, I'm going there. Fallout is one of the best all time adventure games ever and I can't make a list without it. Fallout (Original) released in 1997, by Interplay Entertainment put players in control of their characters in a post-nuclear-apocalypse where they had one objective: Survive. Many years pass, and the series is taken over by Black Isle Studios, the devs of the Baldur's Gates series, and released a new reboot of the original, and the sequel to the critically acclaimed original, Fallout 2. Fast forward another 7 years and we're on the release of Bethesda Studio's spin-off of the title, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas (Dev'd by Obsidian Entertainment), as well as the recent release in the franchise, Fallout 4. The record-breaking 12-million sales at launch, and winner of the BAFTA Best Game, Interactive Achievement Award for RPG, Game of the Year, and Outstanding Achievement for Game Direction. Fallout 4, and the Fallout series are some of my favorite titles to date.

Its that time again, time for you all to hate on me or revere my number 1 adventure title of all time!

• Number 1: Kingdom Hearts (Series); Mobile Platforms/PS Consoles. Yes, Kingdom Hearts is my favorite adventure game of all time, and it might even be my favorite game series of all time. Kingdom Hearts combines the fantasy style of Final Fantasy and the universe of Disney and puts the Square Enix flair on it, making it a unique and defining title for the past 10 years. Originally released on the PS2 in 2002, Kingdom Hearts gives you control of the main protagonist Sora, where you explore and meet various Disney characters and are accompanied by Donald Duck and George "Goofy" Geef, while you search for Sora's friends Riku and Kirari and King Mickey (Mickey Mouse). Throughout your adventures, Sora meets different friends (characters from FF6-10-2) and enemies only known as the Heartless, as well as the various Disney villains. The story does become a bit more distorted and in-depth withe release of the various sequels (Chain of Memories - Drop Distance 3D) and I'll have to let you all experience that for yourselves!

I hope you guys all found some new titles to play or rekindled your love for some older titles with my top 5 favorite adventure games! 

FPS Titles
Spoiler Show
So First Person Shooter titles is a toughie for me. FPS Titles have been my life for most of my gaming career and I became a semi-pro Call of Duty player at some points, mainly during Modern Warfare 2 era, I dabbled in the competitive scene for MW, WAW, and MW2. However, my semi-pro career started in MW2. Although Call of Duty titles are the titles are the ones I'm best at, I can't say they are my favorite. So I guess lets go down the list and break down my top 5 First Person Shooters of all time.

• Number 5: Wolfenstein (Series); SNES/MS-DOS/Remastered. So growing up I was able to probably get my hands on one of the coolest FPS titles ever, Wolfenstein. If you aren't aware of what Wolfenstein is, here's a quick synopsis of the series: Imagine a world where the Nazis won World War II, and ruled the world with highly advanced technology and Sgt. William "B.J." Blazkowicz, the United States' top-agent must stop them. In W3D, I remember blasting my way through the pseudo-3D environments killing the Nazi regime and nazi-robot dogs. As your efforts to destroy the Nazis continued, B.J. furthered his knowledge of how the Nazis won the war and what they were conducting in Castle Wolfenstein. Sgt. B.J. becomes trapped in Castle Wolfenstein and must blast his way out and stop Hitler and the Third Reich. In 2014, Sgt. B.J. and his franchise is rebooted with Wolfenstein: The New Order, delivering probably one of the most immersive and gorgeous FPS titles in modern video games and still holds true in my opinion. Although The New Order was chop full of bugs, rendering issues, and other technical issues, the game felt good. The guns controlled well, the gore felt good, the story was well written, and I thoroughly enjoyed the modern reboot of my childhood classic.

• Number 4: Quake (Series); MS-DOS/AMIGA-OS/SEGA Saturn/N64/PC. H-O-L-Y FUCK. New FPS list isn't complete without the Quake games. Growing up as a kid I got my hands on Quake and fell in love with it instantly. Whether I was blasting my way through the various mazes in single-player mode or setting up LAN events or going to tournaments and watching or even participating at them for multiplayer, Quake always felt so fast and so fluid with the controls and shooting schemes. The guns felt good, and don't forget about all of the "remember-able characters" throughout the franchise! Fuck iD, making Quake into a fucking heroes game. Quake was always this fast-paced arena shooter that just felt fucking amazing to play, you didn't need to win, it was fun regardless. Quake is one my favorite games to have ever have played.

• Number 3: DOOM (Series); Probably every console. I didn't list the specific consoles for DOOM, because throughout the series there have been thirteen different titles, all with unique spins on the game and continuations of the story, which was playing "Doomguy" and being a fucking bad-ass killing demons in hell. Although in the 2016 revamp of the game it is probably one of the most bad-ass looking and goriest of the titles, nothing beats the old pseudo-3D renders of the games and their eventual true 3D titles later on, but all of them kept their continuance of keeping Doomguy, Doomguy....iD, you did good with Doom 2016; I still don't forgive you for making Quake a heroes game. DOOM is known as the original FPS, and one of the pioneering software to run IBM-compatible 3D renders of the game, networked multiplayer systems, and support player-created modifications. DOOM, for me, will go down in history as one of the best shooters in history.

• Number 2: 007 Franchise; I'm pretty certain these games have been released on everything, ever.. Once again, 007 is another one of those titles that have been released on every console and platform, to an extent. Some backstory, 007 was the first FPS title I ever played and I played it for ages. Playing all of them on release and playing classic N64 and Sega games as a kid and loving every single second of playing as Agent 007, James Bond, growing up I thought he was the coolest. He was the guy to be. And through playing Goldeneye, so many different friendships grew and became nourished throughout my life. 007 as a whole had well-written stories, fantastic gameplay, and at the time some of the best graphics available. Although some of the games didn't age as well as we hoped they would, the modding community re-released Goldeneye with incredible HD-renders of the game, bringing back my childhood awestruck emotions that I once had and rekindled my love for Goldeneye and Agent 007.

Time to disappoint some of you.

• Number 1: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare; PC/PS3/360. Well, this is it. This is my favorite shooter of all time. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I know, it isn't Battlefield, its not even the series as a whole, it isn't Fallout, or Borderlands, its COD4:MW. To me, the best FPS title of all time. I spent probably well-over 10,000 hours plays COD4, since its release and still to this day play it. Call of Duty was my first true online multiplayer experience and although it wasn't my first fps, it was the first one I got good at and completed to 100% completion more than 10 times. Even though the stereotype is the 12-year old squeaker playing COD that he got for Christmas, I didn't care. I was a young pup playing Call of Duty and I love it death. I became better than most players and soared to the top of the leaderboards and hit 10th Prestige before anyone I knew. Not only was the online multiplayer fantastic, but the Campaign in my opinion is the best campaign to ever come out of a Call of Duty title and I loved every second of it, having infinite replay potential, even at Veteran. COD4 is the title I met friends that I've known for the past 10 years and developed my online personality and made a name for myself online.

Now I know what you're wondering, where's Halo, where's Battlefield, where's Bioshock, Medal of Honor, Fallout, Borderlands, well the answer is simple, those games are fantastic and fun, but they weren't games I spent years of playtime practicing and playing with thousands of hours playing and mastering. They were fun and fantastic games, but they weren't my favorites. Remember, these are my opinions and don't reflect critical reviews of different games. Although I'm sure I'll write some reviews sometime.

• RPGs
    Spoiler Show
    Role Playing Games have been a massive factor of games I've played in my life and as such I wanted to take the time to really think over the list and come back with my all-time favorites. So I hope you enjoy and discover new titles.

• [b]Number 5: [/b]Jak and Daxter (Series); PS2/PSP. JnD was an instant classic adventure/rpg game that as a child I loved tremendously and even today I find it having just ample amounts of replay value to just enjoy the nostalgia behind smashing through Lurkers with blue eco or run'n'gunnin' through Haven City or through Spargus City. Every character having unique and simple designs and retaining an aspect of professionalism as well keeping the traditional (at the time) Naughty Dog flair to them. As a kid I spent countless hours trying to discover different shortcuts and faster ways to beat the game and different glitches that I could discover, that today it has influenced me to pick up speed running all 3 games where I can learn even more about the games that I may have known before.
  • [b]Number 4: [/b]Kingdom Hearts (Series); PS2/PSP/DS. Kingdom Hearts, having appeared for its second time on this list is probably one of my all-time favorite games ever. The immersive universe of Disney characters mixed in with original Square Enix characters of Final Fantasy and unique to the Kingdom Hearts series makes this game just so mesmerizing, that being said, the RPG aspects of the game were a little lack-luster by being given the idea of choice and having it stripped away by the basic mechanics of the game. After investing hundreds of hours into the game, you learn that the game is incredibly linear and has very little RPG aspects in it at all.
  • Number 3: Dragon Age (Series); PS3/PS4/360/XBone/PC. Dragon Age is a game I invested a real amount of time into as an RPG game, the grinding aspects of the game and the partying system was my first real exposure to this genre back in '09 when Dragon Age originally released. I spent ample amounts of time just fucking up jobbers to farm up and for the next boss fight and hours upon hours reading the lore and spending more time learning the story from Origins, Inquisition. The characters were so hyper-developed that your immersion in the game made your 2,000 hours of in-game time feel like just a few hours and although only slightly repetitive, the combat system was unique and felt responsive and gave you a really good grasp on what you were fighting and if you could win the encounters.
  • Number 2: The Elder Scrolls (Series); Multiple Platforms. Yes, the Elder Scrolls are making their second appearance on the thread and ye they are an incredible RPG experience with hundreds of hours of gameplay available. Next question.
  • Number 1: Dark Souls (Series); PS3/360/PS4/Xbone/PC. By far, my favorite RPG experience ever has been with the Souls franchise. I have been playing these games since the original Demon Souls games and have enjoyed it ever since, purchasing and conquering all the DLC, and awaiting for the The Ringed City DLC in late March, I love these games. They offer incredibly detailed lore, that has been speculated for years and with incredible character designs and enemy designs that you can't forget anything in the game. Although the game is often stigmatized for its difficulty, it is forgiving (at times) if you invest the time into the game -- learn the enemy's patterns, learn the boss runs, learn every detail of the area -- Dark Souls as a series requires you to revist the game constantly to stay good at it and if it isn't enough, go online and face off the AI and players or duel players as a team or solo (unless you're a ganking asshole). The immense amounts of different styles of playing the game can give you a unique run every playthrough, while if you're brave enough to, the game's difficulty will increase while you change your builds. The Souls/Bloodborne series is the best RPG series I have gotten my hands on in a very long time and I know I will continue to play them throughout the years, even if they don't release new content.

Awesome thread. Love the layout of it too.
    @3 is my slut
    (12-03-2016 - 01:23 AM)Luna Wrote: Awesome thread. Love the layout of it too.

Thanks! I'll be trying to the addition sections throughout the weekend
    (12-03-2016 - 01:30 AM)Crunk Wrote:
    (12-03-2016 - 01:23 AM)Luna Wrote: Awesome thread. Love the layout of it too.

Thanks! I'll be trying to the addition sections throughout the weekend

Please do! It helps me find games too c:
    @3 is my slut
    You have to have bf1 for multi player. It probz the best online game so far
    [Image: RQyFiiZ.png]
    (12-03-2016 - 10:58 AM)Azzid Wrote: You have to have bf1 for multi player. It probz the best online game so far

To be honest, I haven't played BF1, nor IW. So they won't be appearing on this list.
    (12-03-2016 - 10:58 AM)Azzid Wrote: You have to have bf1 for multi player. It probz the best online game so far

Idk about the best because I can name many online games that are really awesome. But it's up there with the best I think.
    @3 is my slut
    I was going to comment about your favourite FPS games, but then saw FPS games was coming soon :'( The rest aren't really me lol
    [Image: n3ek4x3.png]
    (12-03-2016 - 08:15 PM)Chucky Wrote: I was going to comment about your favourite FPS games, but then saw FPS games was coming soon :'( The rest aren't really me lol

Just updated FPS.
    Jesus Christ.

This is such a well written thread. This could fit in an entire 40 minute Fawfuls Minion countdown. Jesus.

I love how in depth you went in. And I am actually really interested in playing these games.

One question, do you know any way to get Amnesia? I've wanted to play it for years after my sister told me about it, but not sure if I should invest or not (usually right after I buy a game I find a leak for it, ex. Stardew Valley, & Shellshock Live)

Users browsing: 2 Guest(s)