ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

Java! Why it's good to know

by HaXzz - 01-08-2016 - 10:45 AM
Pros:
  • Free and Easy to use
  • Works on almost all hardware
  • Many well written libraries from other developers
  • Simplified compared to C++
  • Automatic Memory Management
  • Loads of documentation
  • Multiple IDE's to choose from
  • OOP!
Cons:
  • Class libraries poorly written
  • Easy to deobfuscate
  • Poor garbage collection
  • Double buffered graphics
  • Large memory footprint
  • Requires interpreter
  • Proprietary language (Not community driven)
  • Primatives don't inherit from Object
  • Bugs in JVM and Swing
Comment below some other points that are worth adding or share your opinion about java!
This account is currently banned
Ban reason: n/a
'Requires interpreter' is what gets most people to not deal with Java almost ever. C++, and I hate to say it, but even C# are just better alternatives. The closer you get to hardware, the better.
(01-09-2016 - 10:15 PM)Alaygro Wrote: 'Requires interpreter' is what gets most people to not deal with Java almost ever. C++, and I hate to say it, but even C# are just better alternatives. The closer you get to hardware, the better.

Java is not really good with hardware systems unless you have supported libraries and thats why most people use it for embedded systems or apps
(01-10-2016 - 01:20 AM)CaptainModz Wrote: Im trying to learn JavaScripts and shit right now along with C++, you should hit me up nigger if you have any advice.

This is a post about java not javascript
(01-08-2016 - 10:45 AM)HaXzz Wrote: Pros:
  • Free and Easy to use
  • Works on almost all hardware
  • Many well written libraries from other developers
  • Simplified compared to C++
  • Automatic Memory Management
  • Loads of documentation
  • Multiple IDE's to choose from
  • OOP!
Cons:
  • Class libraries poorly written
  • Easy to deobfuscate
  • Poor garbage collection
  • Double buffered graphics
  • Large memory footprint
  • Requires interpreter
  • Proprietary language (Not community driven)
  • Primatives don't inherit from Object
  • Bugs in JVM and Swing
Comment below some other points that are worth adding or share your opinion about java!

Lots of the pros can be nullified because:

- Most programming languages are free, and relatively just as easy if not easier to use than Java.
- Sure it might work on most hardware, but you need Java installed, and it runs through the JVM which makes it very unattractive IMO.
- There's tons of libraries for other languages too.
- Practically anything is easier than C++ aside from functional languages like Haskell but functional programming is in it's own category anyways so it's hard to compare regardless
- Garbage collection can be both good and bad
- You can use just about all of the same IDE's for most other popular languages and even more for C and C++
- It's hard to think of a language that doesn't have OOP in modern times (actually even C has it's own style of OOP which is a bit more subtle than the OOP most developers know of - the Win32 API uses this style of OOP that I'm talking about - just look at LIST_ENTRY and a few other examples)

(01-10-2016 - 01:20 AM)CaptainModz Wrote: Im trying to learn JavaScripts and shit right now along with C++, you should hit me up nigger if you have any advice.

Javascript is a web language typically, and Java is something entirely different.
(01-11-2016 - 04:03 AM)bitm0de Wrote: Javascript is a web language typically, and Java is something entirely different.

If you read the cons too you would know why they are there -__-
Java can be used to create a game am i correct?
(01-11-2016 - 04:10 AM)TheDoctor Wrote: Java can be used to create a game am i correct?

yes minecraft is written in java but uses its own draw functions so that graphics are not double buffered
(01-11-2016 - 04:06 AM)HaXzz Wrote: If you read the cons too you would know why they are there -__-

I did, but a few of them are more opinions rather than "Cons" IMO.

>> Primatives don't inherit from Object

This is part of a design principle, it doesn't mean bad or good - it just means that you have to think differently in your approach towards application design. That's the way C# is where things are either directly or indirectly derived from System.Object. Let's not forget that C# is Microsoft's version of Java - Java was out before C# was. The reason for the difference is that they had their own opinions on the way the library was to be designed.

Neither a bad or a good thing; subjective.
(01-11-2016 - 04:34 AM)bitm0de Wrote: I did, but a few of them are more opinions rather than "Cons" IMO.

>> Primatives don't inherit from Object

This is part of a design principle, it doesn't mean bad or good - it just means that you have to think differently in your approach towards application design. That's the way C# is where things are either directly or indirectly derived from System.Object. Let's not forget that C# is Microsoft's version of Java - Java was out before C# was. The reason for the difference is that they had their own opinions on the way the library was to be designed.

Neither a bad or a good thing; subjective.

Also C# is more community driven while Java is more of a closed circuit of development but they still do listen to people. The reason I put that is because you can cast types all day but type differentiating is different from objects in general is the way they are stored in memory and handled.

Users browsing: 3 Guest(s)