ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

Free and Open Source Software

by ShigataGaNaiYo - 10-08-2017 - 09:52 AM
I won't lie. I'm super biased on this: the only way software should be developed is free & open source. (See the GNU project and the Free Software Foundation for more info.)

What are your thoughts on this?
Do you not think that in some cases you will need to license it to protect proprietary software. If you're the first to market, don't you think you should be rewarded for that, rather than have everyone else copy you? I get that it's better for consumers so they can check security and legitimacy of companies.

Link to GNU project - https://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.en.html
FOSS is always pretty great, but I don't think its an applicable model everywhere.
Unreal Engine 4 is one of the major game engines to go open source and have the model work amazingly.
Other programs that mainly go under a paywall for revenue its not very viable. If your method of verification like keys or whatever, an open source model makes it insanely easy to bypass and get for free than what it already was.
In the favor of FOSS and Open source software DEV! Whole purpose of growing is by sharing and growing collectivly. close system dev seems like more focused on money and competitiveness.

With FOSS, u can have money for support and special custom dev work. Like many great leading FOSS are doing.
I disagree. I believe if all software was free and/or open source the computer industry would tumble. there would be so many people using open source works and every program being free would allow anyone to have it. I think some programs should definitely be paid like visual studio, office, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, illustrator, etc. think about it if everything was open source and free then anyone with a computer could have any program. when you think about it long term it would destroy it. I say this because I have witnessed this first hand on a smaller scale while modding xbox 360. sources have been leaked and people have given up on selling their programs because their sources keep being leaked and after a few yeas of this going on the modding scene is dead and it is impossible to make money with it anymore
Freelance .NET & PHP Developer and Personal/Product GFX Artist
[Image: glJMOVQ.gif]
Yeah, I agree. FOSS is the way to go.

I think there are 2 groups of people in the FOSS movement. One that puts emphasis on freedom. That is, free software as an ethical option for a better world. GNU guys, for example, would belong here. People on this group are sometimes viewed as too extreme and idealistic.

The other group puts more emphasis on objective stuff. They view open source software as a better software development process. By opening the source, all people can view if the code is crap or not, its design and functionality. It's better, in the end, for developers and clients to work this way.

FOSS has nothing to go with being free (in the free as in beer sense). Making software does cost money. It tends to use different business models. Selling support. Or accepting donations.
This account is currently banned
Ban reason: Multi
(10-08-2017 - 09:52 AM)ShigataGaNaiYo Wrote: I won't lie. I'm super biased on this: the only way software should be developed is free & open source. (See the GNU project and the Free Software Foundation for more info.)

What are your thoughts on this?

agree

Users browsing: 2 Guest(s)