ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

A grammar fail everyone is doing.

by Drew McIntyre - 04-05-2016 - 05:17 PM
Now, it is hard to explain this but i'm gonna break it down to you in a moment.
Imagine you are reading a bio about a class then it says "The boys was older than the girls"

How you say  "was" and not "are", the girls CANNOT suddenly turn older than the boys.

Read it again if you didn't understand.
I've never seen anyone make this grammar error...
(04-05-2016 - 05:42 PM)Axe Wrote: I've never seen anyone make this grammar error...

I find this in a lot of books.
I've seen it occasionally to be honest, but I tend to notice alot of spelling mistakes in books.
(04-05-2016 - 06:38 PM)Rizla Wrote: I've seen it occasionally to be honest, but I tend to notice alot of spelling mistakes in books.

Agree, bud.

Though the publishers should check for spelling errors before release.
(04-05-2016 - 06:46 PM)Drew McIntyre Wrote:
(04-05-2016 - 06:38 PM)Rizla Wrote: I've seen it occasionally to be honest, but I tend to notice alot of spelling mistakes in books.

Agree, bud.

Though the publishers should check for spelling errors before release.

Even then, alot of publishers are doing their projects digitally. So there really is no room for mistakes.
(04-05-2016 - 07:28 PM)Rizla Wrote: Even then, alot of publishers are doing their projects digitally. So there really is no room for mistakes.

When I see book writers make simple mistakes, it really gets to my bones.
(04-05-2016 - 07:56 PM)Axe Wrote:
(04-05-2016 - 07:28 PM)Rizla Wrote: Even then, alot of publishers are doing their projects digitally. So there really is no room for mistakes.

When I see book writers make simple mistakes, it really gets to my bones.

I agree, once it's published there is no going back, but like I said, most of it is done digitally now and so there is no room for mistakes.
(04-05-2016 - 07:59 PM)Rizla Wrote: I agree, once it's published there is no going back, but like I said, most of it is done digitally now and so there is no room for mistakes.

Right, I rarely read newly published books though, so I don't meet that circumstance often.
Well this is a tricky one. Grammar is fun but its complicated. For example, if there was a group known as "The Boys" then you would use was as the group is singular not plural. Your example seems to depict "the boys" as plural so it would be correct to say, "The boys were older than the girls." Furthermore, was/were depends on the tense of the word. "Was" depicts something in the past while "were" depicts a conditional. This only applies if the sentence is conditional. If I were smarter, I could have graduated sooner. It is NOT "If I was smarter, I could have graduated sooner."

That concludes today's grammar class. I'll see you all in the next one!
DarkMuse

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)