ALERT!
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!
Home
Upgrade
Credits
Help
Search
Awards
Achievements

[FIRST LOOKS] Ao No Exorcist: Impure King Arc

by Sea - 01-07-2017 - 07:51 PM
DISCLAIMER

Spoiler Show
In no way am I affiliated with A-1 Pictures or any of the supporting publishers or producers. This article is my personal review of the first episode of Ao no Futsumashi: Kyoto Fujouou-hen, and where I think the anime might be heading and my personal opinion of what this may mean for the show itself. I am open for debate on any of these topics, please feel free to reply below with your own comments.

Please note: I will go into detail about this first episode, and there will contain spoilers. Reader discretion is advised.

[Image: 83418.jpg]

The official second installment of Blue Exorcist, The Impure King Arc.

Please if you haven't watched this yet, watch the trailer so you know what you're in for.

We rejoin Rin, Yukio, and the others at a crime scene in the True Cross Distract 5 (the same city as the school). Where the perpetrator(s) are attempting to steal away an artifact only known the the viewers as "The Impure King's Left Eye." Right around the iconic scene from the trailer (shown below) starts, Yukio and Rin must attempt to retrieve the eye and save this young boy taken hostage.

However, something already feels off about this considering Yukio fears the miasma. Indicating that this is in fact not a second season at all. Jump ahead 3 minutes into the episode, we receive further indication that this is definitely not a second season, but a filler season when Yukio struggles to accept he is himself and that his brother is his brother and they both are unique and strong. (Check out the entire 2nd half of season 1 for more on this dynamic). Jump ahead another 5 minutes, we definitely know this is a filler when Shiemi, Ryuuji, and the gang are all frightened by Rin's demonic power. Once again something we stressed ample times in the first season. 

So, story content of the first episode and establishing the story of this fantastic filler arc: Rin, Yukio, and friends must save Japan from being afflicted by a powerful demon known as The Impure King, even though this demon was defeated long ago, the exorcist who stopped it showed off a bit and plucked its eyes, both of which hold immense power and can release vast amounts miasma and can cause great devastation. Thus far, the left eye has been stolen and the gang must go to Kyoto to stop the demons from stealing the right eye. All while getting past the fact that Rin is the spawn of Satan. Man that's a lot of information to soak in....lets just take a minute to absorb all this information and reconvene on the next paragraph.

All set? No ? I'll wait ... ready? Good. 

I'm gonna dive into how I felt about this episode and what I think about season 2's future. Well, to be completely honest I think this is gonna be a well written, decently animated filler arc. That should've happened 5 years ago when the first season came out. Considering that this arc will be 12 episodes long, it shouldn't be released and marketed as the second season when in fact is no impact on the story at all. Whether it is canon or not, this is filler that we have to gruel through and rehash old wounds and stories that a lot of don't really give a shit about. Most of us just want more story, there are a lot of people that just want more Blue Exorcist, like myself, but I'd rather watch actual content than a filler arc that I have to wait 12 weeks to binge. Granted, I am happy I have more Blue Exorcist to watch, but I really want more content. The pacing of this arc is already feeling like something from Naruto: Shippuden's filler arcs and I really don't like that.

So my final verdict: if you want more Blue Exorcist and don't care that this arc will have zero plot progression, watch this. It has been written and animated at the same level as the previous season (I hope its going to be written as well). And yes, I know I am being very judgmental based on the first episode alone, but this first episode had a lot of hype to live up to, considering its predecessor and the marketing of this season being very grandiose. I really hope the rest of the season lives up to the hype and I really hope we can an actual season two. 

Please, if you feel any of my points are valid, let me know and if you think they're invalid especially let me know. I love to debate and discuss and take everyone's opinion seriously, unless you thought Emilia was waifu...then you're just wrong.

Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)